Here at Weber Associates, we know that formatting information into a presentation is an important skill to have. Research has shown that “audiences retain structured information 40% more accurately than unstructured information.”
A strong presentation should allow the audience to take away your key message and be able to relate and empathize. Creating a clear structure helps the audience extract the message faster, and in the business world everyone loves to save time.
Here are 5 key steps to help improve your presentation format:
- Create a clear structure – One of the most important things to keep in mind when building your presentation is having a consistent and clear structure. Make sure there is a clear hierarchy in the information you are trying to convey. You want to have one key message on each slide with strong supporting facts. You can help separate your message and facts by using a specific font size, weight, spacing, or color.
- Know your audience – Knowing who your audience is can allow you to make subtle but important decisions like using a specific term or phrase that the audience can resonate with. This may seem unimportant, but this could be the selling point that advances the sale because your audience recognizes that you understand their needs.
- Visual/data representations – Visual and data representations should always support and strengthen your message. The information should be easily digestible with the data in the forefront. Make sure everything has a purpose and that you aren’t trying to decorate the page.
- Minimize words – Adding in too much information distracts the audience from the main message. Be precise with your words, reduce any unnecessary jargon, and make sure you are getting your message across in as few words as possible.
- Practice your presentation – “Practice makes perfect” – everyone remembers their parents saying this to them, but funnily enough, we can still apply it today. If you want to become more confident in your presentation skills, you will need to practice.
Applying these skills will not only help build effective presentations but help build a strong and memorable brand name. Allow your audience to be surprised and impressed with your presentation and build more relationships.
To learn more about how we can help you apply the Weber formula to elevate your presentations, visit Executive Presentation and Proposals for more information.
About Weber Associates
Weber Associates is a Columbus, OH-based consulting firm. Since 1985, we have blended the creativity of a marketing agency with the analytical rigor of a consultancy to help our clients solve real sales and marketing challenges so they can significantly grow revenues and customer loyalty.